Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Today is 31st October, my self-imposed deadline for having all documentation back for establishing our eligibility. I knew the only thing that the Dept of Child Safety didn't have was one reference so I sent a text message reminder to my lovely friend Lisa yesterday and she was on the phone this morning telling me that she was completing the form as we spoke, and she was happy to ring the Dept and get their fax number so that they would receive everything today.

Now to wait and see what happens next...

We are planning to be in China for holidays from about 3-18 December so hopefully we will make our next move prior to that.

In the meantime, I am comfortable with several words of Mandarin. The most useful ones include:

Me, I, my, mine
You, yours
He/she, his/hers
Like
don't like
am, is
friend
mother
Thank you
hello
how are you? Well, thank you or Not so good.
and the numbers up to 7.

I like Mandarin. It's a practical, sensible language. So long as you are only trying to speak it, that is, not write it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are all English words.

Ni bun le.

Sandie Elsom said...

Holly tells me that depending on the tone, you just said "you are great" or "you move the house."

Anonymous said...

Congrats on knowing all those words! Have you checked out chinesepod.com ? I download a variety of mandarin lessons and i find chinesepod my favourite. I just wish I had some native Chinese speaking friends close by to practice with and correct my tones!